Do you know an HBCU student who wants to break into journalism and is looking for an internship this Summer?
Facebook recently announced their Summer HBCU News Fellowship program which elevates emerging talent and future media professionals by pairing them with established news organizations. Fellows will work to enhance a local or national news organization’s presence on Facebook and Instagram by developing youth-relevant and culturally inclusive angles.
The fellowship will place 25 juniors, seniors, and recent grads of Historically Black Colleges or Universities in 25 newsrooms across the US to serve as Fellows for 8 weeks throughout the summer of 2021. Fellows will be paired with a mentor within the newsroom and work together to define a social media strategy that produces measurable results.
The fellowship will include two different tracks:
- Video Track: Focus on video strategy, engagement, and experimenting with various tactics which may include but are not limited to IGTV, Reels, or video on Facebook.
- Reader Revenue Track: Focus on utilizing Facebook and Instagram to support acquisition/retention of paying subscribers through newsletter signups, engagement techniques, and experimenting with posting strategy.
Students will have an opportunity to work with one of the newsrooms listed below to gain real-world experience and jumpstart their media careers. This opportunity is great for students interested in pursuing journalism, media, marketing, social media, or video production.
Boston Globe, Chicago Defender, Chicago Tribune, Cleveland. com, CNN, Daily Memphian, Entravision, ESSENCE, Fox Television Stations, iOne Digital, Mundo Hispanico, PBS News Hour, Salt Lake Tribune, Savannah Morning News, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Scalawag, Texas Tribune, The Afro, The Root, Univision, USA Today, Vox, Washington Post, Women’s Health
- HBCU College junior, senior, or 2020 graduate
- 18+ and a US resident.
- Cover letter
- Previous internship, work, or academic experience in the field
- Relevant work sample
- Program Timing: June 7 – August 2, 2021
- Stipend to be provided by news organization
- Location: Remote
Applications will be accepted until March 26th at 11:59 PM EST. Applicants may be contacted by email or by phone. Fellows will be announced the week of April 25th, 2021.