To celebrate their line’s first anniversary the Fall 16 initiates of the Eta Sigma Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. in Atlanta did a photo shoot to celebrate their bond.
Chartered in 1923 originally as the Gamma Chapter and later changed to the Eta Gamma Chapter serving the Greater Atlanta Metropolitan area, the Eta Sigma Chapter just so happens to be one of the oldest chapters in Sigma Gamma Rho.
According to the chapter’s website, current programs run by the sisters include:
- George Washington Carver Essay Contests (the life and work of Carver)
- Mwanamugimu Essay Contest, (increases knowledge of African nations and research skills)
- Project Reassurance (prevention of teenage pregnancy)
- Wee Savers (knowledge of banking skills and value)
- Debutante Ball (introduction of young ladies to society)
- Operation Big Book Bag (provide homeless shelters and children’s hospitals with educational materials, equipment, and school supplies)
- Rhoer Club (activities for middle and high school girls)
- Citywide Youth Symposium (preparation of youth for life experiences)
- Buckle Up America (increases awareness of seat belt safety)
- Scholarship awards ($3,000 to $10,000 annually to needy students)
- Support of five undergraduate chapters.
“Additionally, Eta Sigma has impacted the community socially, civically, educationally, and economically,” their site states, “by physically participating in voter registration drives, activities of the National Council of Negro Women, National Pan-Hellenic Council, and Carrie Steele-Pitts Home, Breast Cancer Awareness Walk, AIDS Walk, March of Dimes Walk America, and the Martin Luther King Week Parade.”
We at Watch The Yard would love to wish these ladies a happy line anniversary. Their shoot with Stellar Images Atlanta is definitely one for the books.
Share this on Facebook if you think these ladies deserve to go VIRAL!
jobs3 days ago
30 Smart Responses for When Recruiters Ask “Do You Have Any Questions?” at the End of a Job Interview
Alphas6 days ago
Tuskegee Airman Who Chartered a Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha in the 1940s Shares His Story
Service8 hours ago
This Zeta Phi Beta Soror Is Creating Basketball Camps in Kenya to Improve the Lives of Underprivileged Youth
Probates1 week ago
No Hands! Watch How The New Initiates of Sigma Gamma Rho Do Sigma Leans at UNC Charlotte
SGRhos5 days ago
Watch The Yard’s Top Sigma Gamma Rho Photos for The Month of RHOvember
AKAs5 days ago
Skee-Wee! Watch The Yard’s Top Alpha Kappa Alpha Photos of the Month
Deltas5 days ago
OO-OOP! Here Are The Top Delta Sigma Theta Photos of The Month
AKAs3 days ago
The AKAs at Indiana State University Just Celebrated Their Chapter’s 49th Anniversary With This Sisterhood Photoshoot