To celebrate their line’s first anniversary the Fall 16 initiates of the Eta Sigma Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. in Atlanta did a photo shoot to celebrate their bond.
Chartered in 1923 originally as the Gamma Chapter and later changed to the Eta Gamma Chapter serving the Greater Atlanta Metropolitan area, the Eta Sigma Chapter just so happens to be one of the oldest chapters in Sigma Gamma Rho.
According to the chapter’s website, current programs run by the sisters include:
- George Washington Carver Essay Contests (the life and work of Carver)
- Mwanamugimu Essay Contest, (increases knowledge of African nations and research skills)
- Project Reassurance (prevention of teenage pregnancy)
- Wee Savers (knowledge of banking skills and value)
- Debutante Ball (introduction of young ladies to society)
- Operation Big Book Bag (provide homeless shelters and children’s hospitals with educational materials, equipment, and school supplies)
- Rhoer Club (activities for middle and high school girls)
- Citywide Youth Symposium (preparation of youth for life experiences)
- Buckle Up America (increases awareness of seat belt safety)
- Scholarship awards ($3,000 to $10,000 annually to needy students)
- Support of five undergraduate chapters.
“Additionally, Eta Sigma has impacted the community socially, civically, educationally, and economically,” their site states, “by physically participating in voter registration drives, activities of the National Council of Negro Women, National Pan-Hellenic Council, and Carrie Steele-Pitts Home, Breast Cancer Awareness Walk, AIDS Walk, March of Dimes Walk America, and the Martin Luther King Week Parade.”
We at Watch The Yard would love to wish these ladies a happy line anniversary. Their shoot with Stellar Images Atlanta is definitely one for the books.
Share this on Facebook if you think these ladies deserve to go VIRAL!
History1 week ago
Read The Powerful Letter Fredrick Douglass Wrote To Harriet Tubman In 1868
Kappas6 days ago
Kappa Alpha Psi Just Chartered an Alumni Chapter in Abu Dhabi
Activism1 week ago
Read Frederick Douglass’ 1852 Speech ‘What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?’
Colleges5 days ago
ICE Just Announced that International Students on F-1 and M-1 Visas Must Leave the USA if Their College Goes Online-Only
Deltas4 days ago
These Delta Sigma Theta Sorors Just Donated $11,000 to Savannah State University
Omegas2 days ago
Minnesota Omega Psi Phi Brothers Raise Over $20,000 in Less Than 24 Hours for Brother Hospitalized From ATV Accident
Service6 days ago
Phi Beta Sigma Just Donated 50,000 to The National Urban League
Activism6 days ago
Alpha Phi Alpha Signs Historic Memorandum of Understanding with the Thurgood Marshall College Fund