Watch The Yard Partners with Tidal for “Discover the D9” Featured Playlist
Watch The Yard has partnered with Tidal, the global music and entertainment platform, to produce a special Black History Month playlist called “Discover the D9.”
The D9 refers to the nine historically Black fraternities and sororities that make up the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), the umbrella organization that governs BGLOs. These organizations have a rich history of producing leaders in various fields and have contributed greatly to the development of Black culture.
“Discover the D9” is a featured playlist on Tidal that showcases the musical talents of members of these organizations, both past and present. Curated by Watch The Yard, the playlist features a fusion of old and new hits, from Iota Phi Theta founder and keyboardist Webster Lewis to the soulful voice of Alpha Phi Alpha member Donny Hathaway.
The playlist also features songs from Delta Sigma Theta member Lena Horne, Omega Psi Phi member Max Roach, and Zeta Phi Beta member Dionne Warwick, among others. These artists have not only made an impact on the music industry, but also on their respective organizations and the Black community as a whole.
While the playlist does not include all of the musicians from the D9 (there are a ton) it gives the listener a great place to start to discover D9 artists and realize the impact that these Black fraternity and sorority members have had on the world of music.
The playlist includes these songs by D9 artists:
- Alicia Keys – Diary (Alpha Kappa Alpha)
- Donny Hathaway – A song for you (Alpha Phi Alpha)
- Fantasia – Free Yourself (Sigma Gamma Rho)
- Ella Fitzgerald – Dream A little Dream of me (Alpha Kappa Alpha)
- Lena Horne – Stormy Weather (Delta Sigma Theta)
- Bootsy Collins – I’d Rather Be With You (Phi Beta Sigma)
- Poor Georgie – MC Lyte (Sigma Gamma Rho)
- Minnie Riperton – Memory Lane (Zeta Phi Beta)
- Duke Ellington – In a sentimental mood (Alpha Phi Alpha)
- Gladys Knight – Midnight Train to Georgia (Alpha Kappa Alpha)
- Brownstone – If You Love Me (Sigma Gamma Rho)
- Max Roach – Lonesome Lover (Omega Psi Phi)
- Roberta Flack – Killing Me Softly (Delta Sigma Theta)
- Do You Believe – Webster Lewis (A founder of Iota Phi Theta)
- Natalie Cole – This Will Be (Delta Sigma Theta)
- Lionel Richie – Hello (Alpha Phi Alpha)
- Dionne Warwick – Walk On By (Zeta Phi Beta)
- Chaka Khan – Through The Fire (Zeta Phi Beta)
- Marvin Sapp – Never Would Have Made It (Kappa Alpha Psi)
- Shirley Caesar – Your Next In Line, For A Miracle (Delta Sigma Theta)
- Kurt Carr – In The Sanctuary – Live (Phi Beta Sigma)
- Yolanda Adams – I’m Gonna Be Ready (Alpha Kappa Alpha)
- Montell Jordan – Get It On Tonight (Kappa Alpha Psi)
- Kelly Price – Friend of Mine – Remix (Sigma Gamma Rho)
- DJ Jubilee – Get Ready, Ready (Kappa Alpha Psi)
- Saturday Night Opening – Webster Lewis (A founder of Iota Phi Theta)
- Kevin Saunderson – Frisk (Phi Beta Sigma)
- Count Basie – Blue and Sentimental (Omega Psi Phi)
This collaboration between Watch The Yard and Tidal is a testament to the impact that BGLOs have had on the world. The playlist serves as a reminder of the significant contributions that Black people have made to the music industry and beyond.
“We are excited to partner with Tidal to bring ‘Discover the D9’ to the world,” said Jonathan Rabb, founder and CEO of Watch The Yard. “Music is an essential part of Black culture, and we wanted to showcase the incredible talent of members of BGLOs who have made an impact on the music industry. This playlist is a celebration of our culture and a tribute to those who have paved the way for future generations.”
To listen to “Discover the D9,” simply search for it on Tidal or click here.
Share this on Facebook and Twitter.
Colleges1 week ago
Leadership Highlight: Shaw University’s SGA President Mariah Williams
Colleges1 week ago
Leadership Highlight: Morgan State University’s SGA President Jaden Dawson
Colleges1 week ago
Leadership Highlight: Cheyney University of Pennsylvania’s SGA President Niya Simone Danzy-Ghaffaar