Did you know that Jazz icon Lionel Hampton was a member of Alpha Phi Alpha? Hampton pledged the Phi chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
Lionel Hampton was an American jazz vibraphonist, pianist, and percussionist. He had a long career in the music industry with notable collaborations such as Teddy Wilson Benny Goodman Buddy Rich Charlie Parker Charles Mingus Quincy Jones and many more. In 1992 he became inducted into the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame; in 1996 he received the National Medal of Arts.
Lionel had an extremely impactful career. He always performed at a consistently high level. If you want to know what type of person Hampton was, we posted a list of his honors below for you to check out!
- 2021 – Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (posthumous)
- 2001 – Harlem Jazz and Music Festival’s Legend Award
- 1996 – International Jazz Hall of Fame Induction and Award (performed “Flying Home” with Illinois Jacquet and the Count Basie Orchestra)
- 1996 – National Medal of Arts presented by President Bill Clinton
- 1995 – Honorary Commissioner of Civil Rights by George Pataki
- 1995 – Honorary Doctorate from the New England Conservatory of Music
- 1993 – Honorary Doctorate from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- 1992 – Inducted into the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame
- 1992 – “Contributions To The Cultural Life of the Nation” award from John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- 1988 – The National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters Fellowship
- 1988 – The National Association of Jazz Educators Hall of Fame Award
- 1987 – Honorary Doctorate of Humanities from the University of Idaho – UI’s School of Music renamed “Lionel Hampton School of Music”
- 1987 – The Roy Wilkins Memorial Award from the NAACP
- 1986 – The “One of a Kind” Award from Broadcast Music, Inc.
- 1984 – Jazz Hall of Fame Award from the Institute of Jazz Studies
- 1984 – Honorary Doctorate of Music from USC
- 1983 – The International Film and Television Festival of New York City Award
- 1983 – Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from the State University of New York
- 1982 – Hollywood Walk of Fame Star
- 1981 – Honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Glassboro State College
- 1979 – Honorary Doctorate of Music from Howard University
- 1978 – Bronze Medallion from New York City
- 1976 – Honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Daniel Hale Williams University
- 1975 – Honorary Doctorate of Music from Xavier University of Louisiana
- 1974 – Honorary Doctorate of Fine Arts from Pepperdine University
- 1968 – Papal Medal from Pope Paul VI
- 1966 – Handel Medallion
- 1957 – American Goodwill Ambassador by President Dwight D. Eisenhower
- 1954 – Israel’s Statehood Award
Share this article with your network and let them know about this interesting fact about Alpha Phi Alpha.
Colleges1 week ago
These Schools Were Just Named ‘Fulbright HBCU Institutional Leaders’ By The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
Colleges7 days ago
Fayetteville State University Was Just Named a ‘Fulbright HBCU Institutional Leader’ By The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
AKAs2 days ago
Seven Black Fraternity and Sorority Member-Owned Startups Awarded Google ‘Black Founders Fund’ Funding of $100,000 Each